Web of Science Support Information
The support page gives contact details for assistance or information in regard to the Web of Science (WoS) Service for UK Education and additional support materials/links that may be useful.
- Training Courses
- Web of Science Enhancement Committee
- Calendar of Events
The Web of Science Support page will be continually updated.
Last Update: 17 March 2017
Documentation & Materials
Important Linkage Service Information
For institutions already set up for the Linkage Service (links to full text):
Please note that the Linkage service documentation has been withdrawn as institutions are now unable to update their individual Journal sets. Please forward the details of any changes/additions required to the Web of Science helpdesk who will progress any updates/enquiries on your behalf.
The change in procedure is as a result of the transfer of the Journal sets to the Clarivate Analytics-hosted server. Institution's Journal sets will no longer be administered by institutions themselves on the Clarivate Analytics-hosted service. Clarivate Analytics have undertaken the administration on their server from the transfer of the Institutions Journal set information from the Mimas server on 04 April 2005.
Clarivate Analytics Government and Academic Customer Advocates
Clarivate Analytics has created a new department, the Customer Advocates. The group's mission is to provide a premium level of service to Academic and Government accounts with the goal of increasing usage and raising awareness of Clarivate Analytics products.
The Customer Advocates are available to assist Jisc institutions with a variety of tasks, including the set-up of links to full text, OpenURL, OPACs and aggregate providers such as JSTOR. Please think of the advocates as your primary contact at Clarivate Analytics for any issues involving set-up, service, or educational materials.
If you wish to set up links to full text documents covered in your library, please forward a copy of your holdings to email@example.com and the Advocates will get the process underway. The Advocates can also assist with providing links to the Open Access journals covered in Clarivate Analytics products like Web of Science, Current Contents Connect, and BIOSIS Previews.
The Advocates can also be contacted by phone at 215-386-0100, extension 1706 from 8 AM to 6 PM EST. If you call before or after these hours, the phone mail system will take your message and the Advocates will respond as quickly as possible.
**FREE Workshops** - Clarivate Analytics Bibliometrics & Research Evaluation.
Jisc Web of Science Service for UK Education Support are organising a series of ***FREE*** Bibliometrics Workshop sessions in various locations throughout the UK - training is provided by Clarivate Analytics (formerly the IP & Science business of Thomson Reuters).
Dates and Venues
- Monday 3 April 2017 – University of Edinburgh, 10.30am - 4.30pm **NEW** (note 10.30am start time)
- Wednesday 5 April 2017 – University of Manchester, 10.00am - 4.30pm
- Thursday 6 April 2017 - University of Reading, 10.00am - 4.30pm **NEW**
Please remember to include the following details:
- Full name.
- Email address.
- Telephone number.
As research funding becomes more competitive, institutions are getting more strategic about how they support their research talent, identify potential areas for growth and position themselves in the UK and global arena. Bibliometrics is an essential tool in conducting in-depth analyses of your institution's role in research, as well as producing focused snapshots that showcase particular aspects of research performance and impact.
During the session Clarivate Analytics will demonstrate how Bibliometric analysis is being used by the community at strategic levels.
- Part I: The History behind Bibliometrics
- What are the advantages and disadvantages?
- Meaningful use of indicators?
- What are the main challenges related to metrics?
- How can indicators be used for Research evaluation, in Science Mapping and improving University rankings?
- PART II: Responsible metrics
- What data is used and how important is the data for performing bibliometrics?
- Responsible use of bibliometrics, including skewed nature of bibliometrics, JIF@the journal level, fractional counting, relative measure, etc.
- Compare like with like and supporting the Leiden Manifesto
Lunch (provided by Clarivate Analytics)
- Part III: Live demo & Exercises using InCites B&A
- Part III: Product development feedback
Aimed at librarians, as well as research support managers and anyone who has developed an interest in research evaluation. The workshops will include a combination of presentation, discussion and practical hands-on sessions using InCites Benchmarking & Analytics (including Journal Citation Reports and Essential Science Indicators) to give the participants an overview of what bibliometrics and research evaluation tools can do and how others are using them to promote research impact.
If you require further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Previous Training – Web of Science Service for UK Education
**FREE ** Web of Science and JHCD Update Training - Nov/Dec 2016.
Jisc Web of Science Service for UK Education Support organised a series of ***FREE*** Web of Science and JHCD (Journal Citation Reports and Essential Science Indicators on the InCites platform) Update training sessions in various locations throughout the UK, training was provided by Clarivate Analytics (formerly the IP & Science business of Thomson Reuters). Library/research support staff at academic institutions who subscribe to the Web of Science Service for UK Education were invited to attend one of these events to learn more about recent and future developments to the service.
During the course Clarivate Analytics presented recent enhancements and new features available on the platform. In addition Clarivate Analytics presented InCites Journal Citation Reports and InCites Essential Science Indicators (JHCD).
Topics covered included:
- Emerging Sources Citation Index
- Integration of journal metrics and highly cited data in Web of Science
- Article Level Usage Metrics
- Saved records to Marked List
- ResearcherID and ORCID integration in Web of Science
- Using All Databases to retrieve highly quality content from WoS Citation Connection complemented with literature from regional and specialist databases
- Focus on BIOSIS Citation Index: How to enhance bibliographic information from WoS Citation Connection with biological indexing
- New Endnote online Sign In with Facebook or LinkedIn
- InCites Journal Citation Reports including new features and 2015 data
- InCites Essential Science Indicators introduction
The course combined a mixture of demonstrations and structured hands-on practical sessions. In addition there were opportunities for attendees to ask questions and provide feedback.
Clarivate Analytics Training
Are you searching Web of Science resources as effectively and efficiently as possible? In order to ensure that you are, please take advantage of the free training resources available from Clarivate Analytics.
Web Based Training:
Please visit http://wokinfo.com/training_support/training/ for the schedule of free, live, WebEx based classes. The schedule is updated regularly, so if you see a class that fits your schedule, please check back regularly or contact the Customer Education Department.
Archived Training Sessions:
Clarivate Analytics also offer short recorded training units available for viewing at your convenience. Go to http://ip-science.thomsonreuters.com/training/ and click on a product name in order to view the recorded training available for that product.
All printed training materials are available for downloading from the Clarivate Analytics Customer Support Center. Please visit http://ip-science.thomsonreuters.com/support/ for a complete listing of materials.
If you would like to request a class or need more information about any of the training resources, please contact the Clarivate Analytics Customer Education specialists at email@example.com
From February 2008, statistical information was made available using a new administration tool. Access was available initially for those users at institutions who received email notification previously regarding statistical information. The email address used for the notifications will require registration (if they haven't been registered previously for personal settings) with the same email address, and then used together with the password to sign in once connected to the Web of Science. The administrator tools are accessed from the 'Additional Resources' tabbed page once connected and signed in for the personalisation options.
To see screen shots of all the administration tools for Web of Science please view the Clarivate Analytics PowerPoint presentation (PPS)
WoSEC has been set up to provide a forum in which user comments about the Web of Science Service for UK Education can be discussed by the publisher, the service provider, the funding body and representatives of the user community.
Date of next meeting: tbc
A list of the current members of WoSEC is available.
Please note: Access to files in this section is restricted to UK Academic Institutions (i.e. those accessing via ".ac.uk" domains).
- July 2016 2015 - January 2017
- November 2015 - June 2016
- May 2015 - November 2015
- November 2014 – April 2015
- April 2014 – October 2014
- September 2013 – March 2014
- March 2013 – August 2013
- November 2012 – February 2013
- February 2012 – October 2012
- June 2011 – January 2012
- October 2010 – May 2011
- April 2010 – September 2010
- October 2009 – March 2010
- April 2009 – September 2009
- October 2008 – March 2009
- April 2008 – September 2008
- October 2007 – March 2008
- April 2007 – September 2007
- October 2006 – March 2007
- April 2006 – September 2006
- October 2005 – March 2006
- February – September 2005
- August 2004 – January 2005
- February – July 2004
- August 2003 – January 2004
- February – July 2003
- August 2002 – January 2003
- February – July 2002
- November 2001 – January 2002
- August – October 2001
- February – July 2001
- September 2000 – January 2001
- March – August 2000
- November 1999 – February 2000
- July – October 1999 (including relevant discussion from the March 2000 meeting)
Minutes of WoSEC Meetings
- 33rd Meeting: 29 June 2016
- 32nd Meeting: 2 December 2015
- 31st Meeting: 6 May 2015
- 30th Meeting: 11 November 2014
- 29th Meeting: 28 April 2014
- 28th Meeting: 27 September 2013
- 27th Meeting: 2 April 2013
- 26th Meeting: 12 November 2012
- 25th Meeting: 22 February 2012
- 24th Meeting: 23 June 2011
- 23rd Meeting: 26 October 2010
- 22nd Meeting: 4 May 2010
- 21st Meeting: 27 October 2009
- 20th Meeting: 12 May 2009
- 19th Meeting: 28 October 2008
- 18th Meeting: 29 April 2008
- 17th Meeting: 30 October 2007
- 16th Meeting: 12 April 2007
- 15th Meeting: 30 October 2006
- 14th Meeting: 11 April 2006
- 13th Meeting: 1 November 2005
- 12th Meeting: 7 April 2005
- 11th Meeting: 21 September 2004
- 10th Meeting: 06 April 2004
- 9th Meeting: 22 September 2003
- 8th Meeting: 24 March 2003
- 7th Meeting: 22 October 2002
- 6th Meeting: 05 March 2002
- 5th Meeting: 03 December 2001
- 4th Meeting: 05 March 2001
- 3rd Meeting: 11 October 2000
- 2nd Meeting: 27 March 2000
- 1st Meeting: 09 November 1999
The calendar of events provides information regarding future Web of Science promotional and training activities.
Further information on courses can be found at: Training courses.
|14-15 March 2017||Jisc Digifest||International Convention Centre
Birmingham B1 2EA
|10-12 April 2017||UKSG 40th Annual Conference and Exhibition||Harrogate
Jisc at UKSG
|3 April 2017||Clarivate Analytics Bibliometrics & Research Evaluation Workshop.||University of Edinburgh
Argyle House, Teaching Room EW10, Floor E, 3 Lady Lawson Street, Edinburgh EH3 9DR
|10.30am - 4.30pm
|5 April 2017||Clarivate Analytics Bibliometrics & Research Evaluation Workshop.||University of Manchester
Teaching Suite, Blue 4.1 (4th Floor), The Main Library, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PP
Room location map
|10.00am - 4.30pm
|6 April 2017||Clarivate Analytics Bibliometrics & Research Evaluation Workshop.||University of Reading
Room G10-PC, Allen Laboratory, Whiteknights Campus, RG6 6UR
Campus Map (no.48)
|10.00am - 4.30pm
Previous Web of Science Events
- Events in 2017
- Events in 2016
- Events in 2015
- Events in 2014
- Events in 2013
- Events in 2012
- Events in 2011
- Events in 2010
- Events in 2009
- Events in 2008
- Events in 2007
- Events in 2006
- Events in 2005
- Events in 2004
- Events in 2003
If you have any comments or additions, please send your contribution to the helpdesk at: firstname.lastname@example.org