About the Web of Science Service for UK Education
The Web of Science Service for UK Education provides a single route of access to Clarivate Analytics' products subscribed to by an individual institution.
It includes Web of Science Core Collection; Journal Citation Reports; Current Contents Connect; Derwent Innovations Index and many others. This platform provides a unique way of searching, including the ability to perform an 'All Databases' search on the content of multiple searchable products.
Please choose below to jump directly to any one of the following sections:
Information regarding the subscription options available can be found at:
Links to further Jisc agreements can be found:
For non-UK academic institutions and individual user requests, please contact Clarivate Analytics directly for information on alternative access to their products.
For details of current subscribers to the Web of Science Service for UK Education, please see the current list of licensed institutions.
The basic databases available are:
Web of Science Core Collection
The Web of Science Core Collection databases are:
- Science Citation Index Expanded with Cited References (1970– ), Author Abstracts available from 1991
- Social Sciences Citation Index Expanded with Cited References (1970– ), Author Abstracts available from 1992
- Arts and Humanities Citation Index with Cited References (1975– ), Author Abstracts available from 2000
- Conference Proceedings Citation Index - Science edition (1990– ) indexes the published literature of the most significant conferences, symposia, seminars, colloquia workshops and conventions in a wide range of disciplines in science and technology.
- Conference Proceedings Citation Index - Social Science + Humanities edition (1990– ) indexes the published literature of the most significant conferences, symposia, seminars, colloquia workshops and conventions in a wide range of disciplines in social science and humanities.
- Emerging Sources Citation Index (2015– ) indexes high-quality, peer-reviewed publications of regional importance and in emerging research fields by key opinion leaders, funders, and evaluators worldwide. Get real-time insight into a journalís citation performance while the content is considered for inclusion in other Web of Science collections - more information.
- Book Citation Index (2005– ) indexes over 50,000 editorially selected books with 10,000 new books added each year - more information.
- Index Chemicus (1993– ) contains over 2.6 million compounds.
- Current Chemical Reactions contains over one million reactions, including INPI archives from 1840 to 1985.
Additionally, backfiles are available (depending on subscription entitlements), more information.
- MEDLINE (1950– ) Free subscription to JISC subscribed institutions. MEDLINE is the U.S. NLM (National Library of Medicine) premier database of biomedicine and health sciences, covering the fields of medicine, life sciences, behavioral sciences, chemical sciences and bioengineering, as well as nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, and the preclinical sciences. MEDLINE also covers life sciences vital to biomedical practitioners, researchers and educators, including aspects of biology, environmental science, marine biology, plant and animal science, biophysics and chemistry.
- ResearcherID ResearcherID, available via the 'Additional Resources' tab in WoS, is a global, multi-disciplinary scholarly research community. By assigning a unique identifier to each author who participates, ResearcherID provides an invaluable index to accurate author identification and increases recognition of work and collaboration among researchers.
- EndNote Online. EndNote Online is web based and enables users to search online bibliographic databases and library catalogs, import and organise references and create bibliographies and figure lists easily. There are 2 versions of EndNote Online - Basic and Premium. EndNote Online Basic is free and can be used by anyone. EndNote Online Premium is included when subscribing to the Web of Science Service for UK Education and features a number of enhancements not available in the Basic version. A comparison chart is available summarising the differences between the different EndNote versions.
Links to Full Text
The linkage service provides links between Web of Science resources and electronic full text, there is no fee for using the linkage service. Links can be made available for those electronic titles that your institution has access to and where there is a Links agreement in place between Clarivate Analytics and the journal publisher. Further information regarding links to full text can be found at http://ip-science.thomsonreuters.com/links/
To subscribe to this free linkage service or to amend an existing journal set please first check that links agreements are in place between the journal publisher and Clarivate Analytics using the Master Journal List, if there are agreements in place for the titles please forward details to the helpdesk at email@example.com (indicating start and end dates where necessary).
An article describing Links, by Helen Atkins (Director of Database Development) and titled "The ISI® Web of Science® – Links and Electronic Journals: How links work today in the Web of Science, and the challenges posed by electronic journals", was published in the September 1999 issue of D-Lib Magazine.
The Web of Science Holdings Service (free option) provides three central benefits:
- Links to Paper Journals The Holdings Service allows you to link from a certain Web of Science product records e.g. WoS, Conference Proceedings Citation Index, through to your institution's library catalogue. This allows users to locate the paper copy of journals that they cannot access online.
- Links through to additional online journals
Holdings potentially provides a link to electronic journals not currently the subject of an agreement between Clarivate Analytics and the publisher concerned.
- Alternative route to electronic journals
Holdings provides an alternate route to access the electronic version of journals which may be of use to your users.
Institutions are now able to request up to 8 holdings links e.g. to your Institution's OPAC and additionally to other online catalogues such as Copac.
If you would like to subscribe to this free service and you have a web-accessible OPAC that supports ISSN searching, you may be able to query it directly from certain Web of Science products using the holdings service. Please send your search URL (which has the ISSN number within it) to the Web of Science Service for UK Education helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org and state which library management system you use. The holdings service will then be set up for you free of charge once all your details have been confirmed.
OpenURL Resolver Option for Web of Science
Institutions have another free option for linking all their electronic resources and services using OpenURL Software, this option extends the linking possibilities beyond scholarly journals and citation databases.
If you require any further information or wish to have this free option enabled for your institution, please contact the Web of Science Service for UK Education helpdesk.
Please note: Links, Holdings and OpenURL Resolver are FREE options.
The following additional products are available dependent on subscription entitlements, more information:
- Backfiles for Web of Science
- Current Contents Connect
- Journal and Highly Cited Data (JCR Upgrade, including Essential Science Indicators)
- Derwent Innovations Index
- BIOSIS Citation Index
- Zoological Record
- CAB Abstracts
- Food Science and Technology Abstracts
- Data Citation Index
- Russian Science Citation Index
- Citation Connection
Further details regarding the additional products available can be found at:
Clarivate Analytics Research Management and Analytics Brochure
Research and Management Analytics - solutions for your institution's research management challenges
For information regarding subscriptions to additional products and to request product trials, contact Massimo Giunta at Clarivate Analytics:
Telephone: + 44 (0)20 7433 4331
Please note that due to the nature of the product, trials of Journal Citation Reports (Science Edition or Social Sciences Edition) will only be available with access to an old edition.
Information regarding Backfiles for the Web of Science can be found at:
CCC is the premier current awareness database that includes information in the fields of science, social science, technology, and arts & humanities. CCC features profile-based alerting that gives users the ability to create and manage a set number of alerts that will run against the Current Contents data. On daily updates (Mon - Fri), the results are automatically forwarded to a specified email address.
- Life Sciences with Author Abstracts
- Clinical Medicine with Author Abstracts
- Agriculture, Biology and Environmental Sciences with Author Abstracts
- Engineering, Computing and Technology with Author Abstracts
- Physical, Chemical and Earth Sciences with Author Abstracts
- Social and Behavioral Sciences with Author Abstracts
- Arts and Humanities (no Author Abstracts available)
Journal and Highly Cited Data is the module name for Journal Citation Reports and Essential Science Indicators which are now supported on the InCites platform. This provides a single resource to help institutions make the most informed decisions to support programmes and policies. Journal Citation Reports and Essential Science Indicators on the InCites platform combine to help you easily benchmark and compare your institution's research activities. You'll be able to easily compare individuals, institutions, and publications, plus pinpoint emerging trends and influential researchers, using this new platform.
JHCD Subscription information can be found at:
Web-based resource that allows searching of patent literature from 40 worldwide patent issuing authorities and covers over 14.3 million basic inventions.
The BIOSIS Citation Index contains the literature content from BIOSIS Previews and adds to that fully indexed cited references. The citation counts for items in the BIOSIS Citation Index are sourced not just from items in BIOSIS but also from items in the Web of Science. It contains fully indexed cited references from 2006 for BIOSIS sources, however items published prior to 2006 which overlap with the Web of Science will also contain cited reference data.
Zoological Record is a database of animal biology with coverage that extends back to 1864. Its scope of coverage represents every area of animal biology from biodiversity and the environment, to taxonomy and veterinary sciences. Zoological Record covers 5,000 serials and other sources of information including books, reports, and meetings.
CAB Abstracts is a comprehensive source of international research information in agriculture and related applied life science. Updated monthly it provides current, in-depth, coverage of global journal articles, academic books, abstracts, published theses, conference proceedings, bulletins, monographs and technical reports.
FSTA provides thorough coverage of pure and applied research in food science, food technology, and food-related human nutrition. There are currently over 1 million records available, covering the complete food manufacturing cycle, from initial market research to final packaging.
Inspec, produced by The Institution of Engineering and Technology, is a comprehensive index to literature in physics, electrical/electronic technology, computing, control engineering, information technology, manufacturing, production and mechanical engineering. Updated weekly, Inspec provides data from journals, conferences and other sources including books, reports, dissertations and videos.
InCites is a citation-based evaluation tool that enables institutions to conduct analyses on their own researchers and departments and compare them with their peers at other institutions.
As a part of Web of Science the Data Citation Index allows access to an array of data across subjects and regions, providing a comprehensive picture of research output to understand data in context and maximize research efforts.
The SciELO Citation Index includes approximately 650 titles and more than 4 million cited references from Open Access journals from Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Mexico, Portugal, South Africa, Spain and Venezuela.
Clarivate Analytics, in partnership with Russiaís Scientific Electronic Library, have created a database of the top-tier scholarly publications in Russia - the Russian Science Citation Index (RSCI). Search RSCI directly on Web of Science to access the most significant Russian scientific research with easy and direct access to its premier journals. RSCI covers fields such as engineering, material science, and ecology and provides local language interface for simplified discovery. Content is provided in Russian and English and is updated monthly. Over 600 titles have been selected for indexing with backfiles available to 2005.
Please contact Massimo Giunta at Clarivate Analytics should you require information regarding Citation Connection.